3 Phrases That are Blocking Your PromotionApr 07, 2022
Ready for a promotion and wondering why it's taking so long?
It could be your language. Check yourself by avoiding the three phrases outlined below. Fix 'em and see what opportunities open up for you!
1. Saying YES too often, especially when you mean no.
Stop saying yes to menial projects that someone else can do. Stop compromising what was prioritized on your calendar for someone else's. Say no when you mean no. Protect your calendar. Prioritize tasks that demonstrate your worth and expertise. Soften the "no" blow using clarification.
- Could I get this to you next week instead?
- This would be a good development opportunity for Susan.
- Where does this rank on your list of priorities?
2. "This might be a dumb question, but..."
Gah!! No. Stop right there. Avoid shrinking yourself and diminishing your question before even saying it by dropping, "This might be a dumb question." Simply ask your question, use your confident voice, and maintain eye contact.
- Tell me more about...
- I'm curious, (followed by your question).
- Help me understand...
3. "I don't know how to do that."
While that may be true, if you want a promotion, you must demonstrate ingenuity and innovation. Instead use...
- Could you point me to resources? I'll give it a shot.
- I haven't done that before, but am curious to learn!
- I'm not familiar with the process, but if you can point me in the right direction, I'll take it from there.
These phrases are subtle but significant. Move toward a level of mastery by practicing alternatives out loud. Your next level depends on it!
Don't miss a beat!
New moves, motivation, and classes delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.